If you are in Western Australia please click here to change sites.
Frequently Asked Questions
Welcome to our frequently asked questions, we are constantly updating this area so if you have a suggestion simply email
us and we will add it.
How often do I receive my Alinta Energy bill?
Generally we'll send your Alinta Energy electricity bill approximately once every three months and your natural gas once every two month.
Why is my electricity or gas bill higher than usual?
Your energy use-and therefore your bill-fluctuates throughout the year depending on the season. Some simple explanations for a higher electricity or gas bills include:
- Cold weather - In cold weather, most homes use more energy. Your hot water system has to work harder to heat the water, longer showers are common and you're likely to use room heaters more.
- Hot weather - In the hot weather, some homes use air-conditioners to cool their homes. 23°C or higher is the ideal temperature for your air-conditioner as each degree lower can add 10 per cent to the cost of cooling your home. (source: Save Power http://www.savepower.nsw.gov.au/)
- Changes in your household - Have people moved into your home? Are you spending more time at home? Do you have any new electricity or gas appliances? Are any of your gas appliances leaking?
- Your account was estimated - If your meter hasn’t been read, we've had to estimate your energy use.
- There was a mistake in reading your meter - Check your current meter reading against the reading on your account.
- Your billing period may be longer than your last account - Compare this bill with one from the same period last year.
- Your appliances (such as your appliance on stand –by power) may have been operating while you were on holidays. If this is the case, simply switch your appliances to the vacation setting next time you go away.
What is the supply charge for?
The daily supply charge covers some of the fixed costs of supplying gas to your home or business, including the cost of installation and maintenance of pipelines, gas mains and gas meters.
Does the supply charge apply even if I have electricity and gas connected but don't use it?
Yes. Our customers who only use either electricity or gas seasonally still pay the supply charge, as this covers the cost of maintaining the supply of electricity and gas your home.
How can I calculate my next bill?
The easiest way to estimate the amount of your next bill is to take a reading from your electricity and gas meter and call Alinta Energy on 133 702. We can then calculate the amount you owe and estimate what the total is likely to be.
What is an estimated account?
Energy retailers in South Australia and Victoria are required to use their best endeavours to obtain an actual read of your meter at least once ever 12 months.
If the meter reader cannot access your meter - you may have a dog that won't let the meter reader in, or your meter may be locked or obstructed - your meter reading and bill will be estimated. Any difference will be adjusted in the next account, provided the meter can be read at the time.
Have we answered your question?
If your question does not appear on this page, you can contact us by email
Will Alinta Energy ever ask for my personal details over email?
No, Alinta Energy will never ask for your personal or payment details via email. You should only update your account information in My Account or with an authorised Alinta Energy Customer Care representative over the phone. If you receive a suspicious email, please call 13 37 02.
When will you launch in NSW?
You will be able to sign up to an electricity account in NSW on Friday 13 November 2015.
What is the impact of the removal of carbon tax on energy prices?
For substantiation statements relating to the impact of the removal of carbon tax on energy prices please click here.